To reduce body fat and lose weight, you need to change the way you eat, and increase your physical activity. It's best to lose weight slowly, by making small, achievable changes to your eating and exercise habits.
Suggestions for safe and effective weight loss include:
- Cut down on dietary fats, especially saturated fat, and choose low-fat varieties where possible.
- Increase your intake of fresh fruit, vegetables, and wholegrain breads and cereals.
- Don't crash diet. You'll most likely regain the lost weight within five years.
- Eat less takeaway, snack foods and sugary drinks.
- Reduce portion size by using smaller plates.
- Cut back on refined sugars.
- Consume less alcohol.
- Don't eliminate any food group. Instead, choose from a wide range of foods every day, and choose 'whole' foods which are less-processed.
- Exercise for approximately 30 minutes on most days of the week. Introduce more movement into your day – try to include 30 minutes of walking daily.